About Adam

Retail Demon, Event Guru, Quizmaster, Novice Blogger, Baseball Player, Fiancee, Film Addict, TV enthusiast, Jack Bauer Devotee.

Friday 8 July 2011

The Ultimate Sacrifice



Months ago I decided to monitor my self control concerning how many trailers I watch prior to a film release.

It started the test with Transformers Dark of the Moon hence I attempted to make it to the release without seeing a single moving image beforehand. I was successful mainly due to the fact that I was looking forward to it but not with a passion. The experiment has continued with Cars 2 but again no major test, just helping me to practice.

But now comes the ultimate temptation which is what the idea was created for. Later this week we will see the first teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises and I'm already worried. It's already my most eagerly awaited film of 2012 and I don't know what to do.

Do I give in to it and every trailer that follows showing me glimpses of great set pieces? Or... Do I enter the cinema next July having seen nada and prepare myself for an experience no one else can claim to have? Imagine walking into IMAX and not having seen anything at all of the last Batman film. It would be amazing wouldn't it? Or would you over concentrate? Does a trailer spoil or simply help you set your expectations? I'd rather be shocked at someone who is just about to be killed on screen rather than see the trailer and know in my head that said person survives the situation because I've seen a scene that hasn't happened yet.

Help me people I dont know what to do. As one wizard once said....
"we must choose between what is right and what is easy"

....boom goes the dynamite!
Posted from Blogium for iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I'm having the exact same dilemma! I decided to do it with Super 8, and I've been successful upto now... However as a long time comic book fanboy who counts the first two Batman films as his favourite films of all time, this would be one of the most difficult undertakings ever!
    But let me take you through a 5 second piece from the Dark Knight: Batman trashes his Batmobile, the husk of his awesome ride is still for a split second... Then it stirs! It shakes and rattles and then... POW! He explodes from the hunk of junk in his Batpod!!
    When I sat in the cinema and saw that for the first time I wet myself - and it wasn't urine... I can't even imagine how I would have reacted had I not seen any teaser footage/images beforehand at that part, but I think I might have been smiling like the Joker for a year...!
    It's this thought that's going to keep me strong. I'd be naive if I thought that I can avoid it altogether (especially as the release date approaches), but I'm going to try my best. I'm not going to click on any links, and I'm going to turn over if any trailers come on the telly, because as you say I want an experience that I'll never forget and that I know no one else is getting when I'm sat in that cinema...

    ReplyDelete